Yo Uei (上井 陽 Uei Yō) is a pre-petrification human and former policeman. Originally a member of the Tsukasa Empire, he faked his death after Chrome's escape to avoid the blame, then eventually joins the Kingdom of Science after the stone wars are over.
As penance, he worked with Yuzuriha to rebuild the statues that were destroyed by Tsukasa. Yo also worked in the farming division under Taiju. However, he is constantly butting heads with Magma due to each other's naïvety in their respective worlds.
Yo is a lean but muscular young man of slightly above-average height with incredibly spiky auburn hair, left to flow wildly behind his head. He has a massive piece of stone covering his right eye. For some inexplicable reason, despite ditching the stone eyepatch several times, it somehow always makes a reappearance.
He typically wears a short, grey sleeveless yukata that leave most of his legs exposed. He has a very large shoulder pad on his left shoulder and wears a spiked necklace. Like many in Tsukasa's Empire, he goes barefoot, though he does decorate himself with ankle bracelets. When Yuzuriha builds a fashion store, Yo wears a modern outfit.
Prior to the petrification, Yo wore a police officer uniform.
He is first shown as being abrasive, rude, and arrogant, having shown off his skills in front of his subordinates to prove how strong he is. He believes himself to be on the same level as Tsukasa, Hyoga and Ukyo when he is little more than a strong-but-unintelligent, violent thug. He also has a tendency to look down on people, especially the Post-Petrification people. He laughs off Chrome's attempt at escape, believing that he was trying to rub two sticks together to create fire to burn his way out (in reality, Chrome was using a battery, but uses Yo's misconception and belittlement to his advantage by feigning ignorance). In addition, he frequently laughs at the "savages" (stone world humans) for not understanding modern science, such as laughing at Magma for looking down on modern science (Magma is the person he fights with the most). He can be rather dismissive, believing Senku to have gone nuts in chapter 96 when he starts building his GPS as he can't understand the science behind it. Despite this, he considers modern humans superior to "savages" and takes every chance he can get in proving this.
He is a coward and, once Chrome managed to escape, is quick to leave the Tsukasa's army for fear of punishment. He goes so far as to feign amnesia to join Senku's Kingdom of Science since it would mean a greater chance of survival. He tries to butter up to them by claiming he would like to "redeem himself" by working for Yuzuriha in repairing the broken statues, though this works against him as it proves to be more work than he wished. He is shown to dislike work, often complaining about having to help Yuzuriha's statue fixing (a rather arduous task) and needlework. He similarly complains about farming, though he can be motivated when the promise of profit or power comes along.
Even in his past, he was shown to often disregard rules, once shooting a suspect while claiming that it was because they were trying to flee, and similarly peeing on a wall while being petrified. He has also admitted to being trigger-happy, shooting people on sight. His abrasive, power-seeking personality also makes him easy to manipulate into doing Senku's and Gen's bidding. He often tries to butter up to his superiors while coveting power, though is mostly harmless due to his lack of intellect. He and Magma get into fights often about the capabilities of the "savages" and the capabilities of "modern people", along with their similar personalities, strength, and desire for power and leadership.
Despite this, he does have at least one or two redeeming qualities. While fleeing, he tells his remaining subordinates to tell Tsukasa that he died and to put all the blame of Chrome's escape on him (though this would have no consequences on Yo himself since he would be thought dead, but also no benefit) implying that he at least somewhat cares about his subordinates. He is even willing to redeem himself by helping Yuzuriha out by rebuilding statues with her. Since allying with Senku, Yo is now a loyal member to the Kingdom of Science and while he still seeks power, Yo has not made any attempts to claim it. Indeed, he is often amazed by Senku's inventions and once stated he wished to meet him before the Petrification event.
Abilities and Skills
Yo is former cop with a penchant for violence. As such, he's had his fair share of combat experience prior to the Petrification event.
- Police Training: As a former cop, he has training in police combat and is shown to be a somewhat competent combatant with a tonfa. His skill allows him to hold his own, in his comical bouts with Magma.
- Running: After Chrome escaped the jail, Yo assesses the damage to the jail bars before running after Chrome and dodging the pitfall traps. Despite the delay, he still succeeds in catching up to him.
- Marksmanship: Thanks to his experience as a police officer, Yo was trained in the usage of firearms, though due to a lack of practice since he was petrified, he is initially a poor shot, though he is able to improve after some target practice. However, his accuracy and skill is still far below Ukyo.
- Martial Arts: Yo specializes in Tonfa usage in martial arts. Yo is very proficient in using the Tonfa, being able to take out a large muscular man in the Tsukasa Empire in one blow.
- Tonfa: When we are first introduced to Yo, he is seen using his second favourite weapon, the tonfa, which he uses very proficiently.
- Gun: When the Kingdom of Science creates a gun during the Treasure Island Arc, they entrust Yo with it, as he's the only member of the KOS that has had any practice in firearms. Although not using it well at first, he eventually begins to use it well once more.
- Both parts of Yo Uei's names are used as interjections. "Yo" for when trying to get someones attention, and "Uei" when surprised, though neither are limited to these situations. The character Yo uses both frequently.
- In the anime, Yo was apparently revived thanks to Minami recognizing him as a "crazy-strong" police officer who won the baton category at a police martial arts competition, who she'd interviewed previously.
- The anime also shows that Yo has a small crush on Minami.
- He is the first person to be petrified four times.
- The Martial Arts that Yo uses is known as Okinawan Martial Arts.
|Male||Tsukasa Shishio • Hyoga • Ukyo Saionji • Yo Uei|
|Female||Homura Momiji • Minami Hokutozai • Nikki Hanada|
|Male||Brody Dudley • Byakuya Ishigami • Carlos Barrios • Gen Asagiri • Hyoga • Joel Gear • Leonard Maxwell • Max Adams • Ryusui Nanami • Sai Nanami • Senku Ishigami • Shamil Volkov • Stanley Snyder • Taiju Oki • Tetsuya Kinomoto • Tsukasa Shishio • Ukyo Saionji • Xeno Houston Wingfield • Yakov Nikitin • Yo Uei|
|Female||Charlotte Bony • Chelsea Childe • Connie Lee • Darya Nikitina • Homura Momiji • Lillian Weinberg • Luna Wright • Maya Biggs • Minami Hokutozai • Mirai Shishio • Nikki Hanada • Yuzuriha Ogawa|