"He does not seek splendor for himself. No, his greed goes beyond such small, petty notions. Rather, he desires to own the splendor that he spreads to everyone!"
Ryusui Nanami (
Ryusui is a fairly tall, muscular young man with shaggy blond hair, some strands of which fall loosely into his face. He has thick eyebrows that are distinctively shaped like arrows, and he holds an intense glare in his eyes, most often seen when expressing things that he desires to have. He's also very rarely seen without a confident smile.
He had a stone marking encompassing most of his right hand, which disappeared since his second revival. Ryusui soon adorned war paint in reflection of his stone markings, during Tsukasa's revival.
Ryusui was the Heir to the Nanami Conglomerate, and accomplished sailor. As such, he lived a wealthy and lavish lifestyle. Pre-Stone World, he was seen as a greedy playboy, rarely seen without the company of beautiful women, exotic sports cars, and excessive partying. Minami was resistant to the idea of reviving him, stating that despite his expertise in ship sailing (of which he is the most skilled), his personality was akin to that of a spoiled, pampered rich boy who ordered others to do his bidding. While initial impressions of Ryusui seem to match this description, as he demanded worship and proclaimed himself the leader of the new world.
In reality, while he is arrogant and greedy, it was his greed that fueled his ambition, which was the cause of his great success pre-Stone World. He spent a great deal of time studying, and was active in ship making, from making small models, to building huge ships. The money he earned, he put toward bettering himself and the company. Senku deduced that his presence would be beneficial to the Kingdom of Science, as his greed does not only apply to himself, but to those around him. He pushes and motivates everyone.
Though a party animal and playboy, Ryusui considers all women to be beautiful. While this seems like empty praise, he even calls the elderly and children beautiful, saying that people are all beautiful in their own way. He is seen mentioning that he “loves” and “desires” all people, including men. He even refuses to see a woman cry and his greed extends to ensuring they never cry again. Like Senku, Ryusui has the drive to rebuild society and make a world good for everyone to live in.
He shows that he is selfless and caring, as he was angry at Suika for stowing away in their dangerous voyage. Later, as he and the crew were being petrified, he kicked Suika out of harm's way. He is quick to admit his faults, such as when he is revived the second time, Ryusui tells Suika how proud he was of her despite her heavy burden, and declares that she is a fully fledged member of the Kingdom of Science.
While usually excitable and composed, he occasionally has a shocked expression, being disturbed by Senku's devious nature, the food of the stone world, Senku's inventions, Soyuz's amazing memory, and Taiju's superhuman stamina.
Abilities and Skills
- Physical Strength: Ryusui has great strength, as he was able to hold his own in the tug of war with Ibara, whereas Senku was struggling. He is also very fast by being able to keep up with Chrome who is a very fast runner.
- Expert Sailor: Years of sailing into the ocean have allowed Ryusui to develop a keen sense on how to judge the ocean. He was able to make a precise calculation and how he can pull the situation off when sailing.
- Skilled Pilot: Ryusui has also proven to be good at piloting an air balloon. He was also able to pilot the plane the Kingdom procured from Stanley Snyder.
- Weather forecaster: After spending years of sailing, Ryusui can predict the weather even when he was not on the ocean.
- Intellect: Ryusui is fairly intelligent. In addition to his skills with the weather, he is a skilled ship architect. He was able to deduce that Minami might have the Stone Formula on her since she was in charge of choosing who was depetrified for Tsukasa. He was able to quickly deduce the situation both times he was depetrified. He successfully invested on the financial market to make profit as a child. He also happens to know Morse code. When Ibara pushed the petrification device towards him and Senku by throwing his head on him he improvised by attaching an earpiece to the petrification device so that Senku could activate it using his phone.
|Sailing Skills||5/5 A|
龍 水means Dragon Water and Nanami 七 海means Seven Seas.
- He is the first person to be revived twice.
- He is also the first person to be revived three times.
- Having been petrified during the final battle with Ibara, he holds the record for the number of times someone has been petrified. A total of four times.
- His personality is similar to the homunculus Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist. Both are greedy individuals who have a noble side; Ryusui uses his greed to push everyone forward, while Greed values his friends.
- Ryusui's former status of being rich, makes him a person Tsukasa Shishio would not revive in the words of Minami Hokutozai.
- Judging by his personality, it seems possible that he wants to travel and explore the whole world on the Perseus, even after they reach South America. This was later confirmed when it was revealed that they will indeed travel the world, to collect items for the space shuttle.
- Ryusui frequently throws around words like 'love' and 'desire', regardless of gender, which could point to him being bisexual. However it has not been officially confirmed either in the series or by the authors:
|Male||Chrome • Gen Asagiri • Ginro • Hyoga • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Matsukaze • Mozu • Ryusui Nanami • Senku Ishigami • Taiju Oki • Tsukasa Shishio • Yo Uei|
|Female||Homura Momiji • Kirisame • Kohaku • Minami Hokutozai • Nikki Hanada • Ruri • Suika • Yuzuriha Ogawa|
|Male||Dr. Brody • Byakuya Ishigami • Carlos Barrios • Gen Asagiri • Hyoga • Joel • Leonard • Max Adams • Ryusui Nanami • Senku Ishigami • Shamil Volkov • Stanley Snyder • Taiju Oki • Tetsuya Kinomoto • Tsukasa Shishio • Ukyo Saionji • Xeno Houston Wingfield • Yakov Nikitin • Yo Uei|
|Female||Charlotte • Chelsea • Connie Lee • Darya Nikitina • Homura Momiji • Lillian Weinberg • Luna Wright • Maya Biggs • Minami Hokutozai • Mirai Shishio • Nikki Hanada • Yuzuriha Ogawa|