Matsukaze is a tall, young man with a relatively thin, but well-muscled build. His face is handsome and stern, and his black hair, which he keeps in a ponytail, extends to below his shoulders. He has a large crescent moon-shaped petrification scar on his forehead. He also has marking shaped vaguely like the Petrification Weapon on his left arm (which he carved in his arm when he was being petrified).
Prior to his petrification, he wore a different outfit and lacked the scar on his arm and forehead. He also wielded a stone sword.
Following his revival, he is given new attire by Francois. He carries a wooden stick on his side like a sword, but it is later destroyed by Tsukasa and replaced with a bamboo practice sword. It was later destroyed by Stanley.  After his second revival, he lost his scar on his head.
Matsukaze is an honorable, dutiful man. He is quick to thank Senku for reviving him, but immediately comes to the defense of Ginro (whom he believes to be his Lord at the time) when he appears to be in distress, and apologizes for his inability to protect him due to the petrification. Despite learning Ginro is not his Lord, Matsukaze continues to protect him, as Ginro is a distant relative. He will also apologize should he overstep his bounds, as he did so after he drunkenly asked Tsukasa to train him.
Like most Stone World people, he is amazed by new things, such as his own revival, the formula that depetrifies people, Senku's inventions, and the sights of the world.
He respects fellow warriors, humbly asking for a sparring match to see how his own strength compares. Upon Tsukasa's revival, Matsukaze was willing to wait for some time to allow the man to recover, showing that he does not wish to rush anyone should they need time to recover. He also showed himself willing to accept defeat after acknowledging the strength of his opponent.
Abilities and Skills
Matsukaze is one of the ten strongest warriors of the Kingdom of Science. He possesses great skill that makes him a valuable asset to the Kingdom.
Besides his strength, he is shown to be very agile and fast.
- Enhanced Strength: Matsukaze wields considerable strength. In a flashback, he was strong enough to take down several enemies and not be harmed. However, he wasn't skilled enough to fight against Tsukasa or Hyoga in sparring matches with them. Tsukasa noted that if properly trained in modern martial arts, Matsukaze would be a tough opponent even for himself. He could hunt and kill large American Alligators with help from the others. Along with Moz, he could easily defeat one of the soldiers of Stanley's military unit, despite the latter having years of combat experience. Even with his hands bind, he still delivered a powerful kick to an enemy.
- Enhanced Speed: Upon seeing Ginro being attacked, he proceeded to blitz into the middle of the confrontation, deflecting attacks from both Kohaku and Kirisame (who are among the most dangerous fighters in their groups) simultaneously and removed Ginro from the area. This was notable, as he had only recently awoken from Petrification. Even while wounded from a bullet in his shoulder, he was able to sneak away from the sickbay of the Perseus without anyone spotting him.
- Acute Senses: He has good perception, as he could tell from a glance that Tsukasa is a highly trained combatant. Along with Hyoga and Tsukasa, he could feel that something was amiss before they were attacked by Stanley. He could also tell that there was something wrong while the rest of the crew was watching Charlotte battle Senku and Ryusui. His deduction proved to be accurate, as it is revealed the American colony constructed a submarine to attack. He could also guess that the grenades a soldier of Stanley's military unit threw were capable of widespread destruction, similar to the Petrification Weapons he had to deal with in the past. He was also able to seize a knife thrown in the air by François, after understanding the reason. 
- Enhanced Durability: He possesses good endurance, as he was grazed by a bullet from a machine gun and called it a scratch.
- Expert Swordsman: Matsukaze possesses some rudimentary swordsmanship. The depths of his skill were seen when he easily swatted aside several grenades with ease, leaving Moz to compliment his proficiency. Even with his hands bound, he was able to cut Ginro free with a cooking knife.
He once wielded a stone like blade in the past, which he used to kill several enemies.
- It is unknown how long he was petrified.
- However, he is the person with the longest time spent petrified from the Stone World.
- He is shown to be unable to hold his alcohol, as one sip caused him to pass out.
- Indirectly, he is responsible for his master's death, due to severing his petrified arm and causing blood loss.
- However, Matsukaze was unaware of the revival formula, so he was sparing his master from being petrified.
|Male||Chrome • Gen Asagiri • Ginro • Hyoga • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Matsukaze • Moz • Ryusui Nanami • Senku Ishigami • Taiju Oki • Tsukasa Shishio • Yo Uei|
|Female||Homura Momiji • Kirisame • Kohaku • Minami Hokutozai • Nikki Hanada • Ruri • Suika • Yuzuriha Ogawa|
|Male||Head of Petrification Kingdom • Ibara • Matsukaze • Moz • Oarashi • Soyuz|
|Female||Amaryllis • Kirisame|
|Alabaster • Argo • Carbo • Chrome • Ganen • Genbu • Ginro • Hagane • Jasper • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Mantle • Natri • Sagan • Sho • Tetsuken • Titan • Unmo|
|Alumi • Azura • Beryl • Dia • En • Garnet • Kohaku • Kujaku • Namari • Ruby • Ruri • Sango • Sapphire • Shirogane • Shovel • Suika • Suzu • Turquoise|
|Soyuz's father • Ibara • Matsukaze • Moz • Oarashi • Soyuz|
|Amaryllis • Kirisame|