"You're smarter than you look, Magma."
Magma (マグマ Maguma) is a villager from Ishigami Village. Magma is known for being one of the strongest warriors of all the village.
Magma is a large, muscular man with slicked-back blond hair that brushes the top of his shoulders, with a single lock falling in front of his face. He has thick, pointed eyebrows that are usually furrowed. His chin is prominent and he has a strong jawline. His physique is thick and muscled, significantly more than any of the other villagers, only rivalled by Tsukasa and Hyoga's henchmen.
His usual clothing is a dark blue tunic with short sleeves that displays his well-defined chest. Underneath, he wears very dark-coloured pants that are tied around the ankle. Like most villagers, he lacks accessories, however he has two bracelets made of brown-leather thonging on his wrists. He wears the village rope around his waist as a belt. During the winter, he wears a long coat with fur trim along the hems.
He is shown as being willing and able to kill to get his way when he attempts to kill Gen, thinking him to be Senku. He also initially has paranoia of outsiders such as Gen and Senku, attempting to kill Gen partially because he believed he was a magician and that by eliminating him, he would remain the strongest. This also demonstrates his superiority complex, an obsessive need to prove himself to be the strongest.
This would later be the reason behind his rivalry with Yo as both often compete with each other to prove who is better (especially between pre-petrification humans and post petrification humans).
He also tends to be impulsive and acts before thinking, such as smashing the tungsten that he, Chrome, and Senku brought from the cave once he heard Senku mention he needed something out of the rocks (though he was in a way correct as Senku did need the tungsten smashed) and when Hyoga invaded the village, his first reaction was to attack him one on one without thinking about a strategy or teaming up with Kinro and Kohaku (as all three of them are the strongest fighters of the village and would have a better chance fighting together).
He tends to remark that when faced against a powerful opponent or army, they should simply slaughter everyone, proving his merciless nature and one track mind (without considering the disadvantages of such a strategy or a more peaceful alternative). He once even asked if they could simply smash the stone statues Tsukasa collected so they could dwindle their numbers and lessen the amount of people Tsukasa could revive for his army. This is seen again when going against the foes of Treasure Island. Magma is also sadistic at times, wanting Ruri to watch him hit Chrome over and over again, knowing that they have affections for each other.
Despite this, he eventually cannot bring himself to kill Chrome and Senku. When alone with them in a cave, he chooses to save them from a cave collapse rather than use the opportunity to kill them. He claims that the inventions Senku makes are interesting and so long as he keeps making interesting things, he will not kill him. This is reaffirmed in a conversation with his lackey Mantle, where he states he still desires the village chief position, but not to murder Senku.
He even begins to willingly lend his help to Senku and similarly helps Gen set up a telescope as a birthday surprise for Senku. Also, despite being impulsive, seeing violence as the first and only solution, and charging into battle head first without thinking, he does have some tactical strategy. He can also genuinely admire and respect other people's abilities and strengths. As stated above, he does grow to respect Senku's intelligence and ability to bring new wonders to the village, which ultimately causes him to cease his desire to murder him. He understood and recognized Kohaku's strength. He also admired Kinro's strength and wanted him to be his lackey.
He even compliments and admires Taiju's strong will and bottomless stamina and strength when they were farming. Similarly, he seems to grow a little, managing to recognize abilities beyond strength, such as Senku's intelligence, and he admires Gen's skills and even asks him to be his lackey, despite having once tried to murder Gen.
Abilities and Skills
Magma has an extreme amount of physical strength and endurance, able to withstand a large flurry of attacks from Kinro in the Village Games and go on to win.
- His name is a reference to the molten rock found in the upper mantle and just underneath the Earth’s crust.
- Despite the claims that he was the strongest man in the village, he personally admires Taiju Oki due to his "unlimited stamina" where Taiju did not get exhausted when handling the farm field.
- Due to Magma's impulsiveness, Senku is careful about explaining science in front of him. Unless brute force is needed, Magma is typically kept busy with gathering wood for materials.
- Magma tends to get punished by Nikki for his rash behavior; she's kicked him in the crotch and slammed her fists on his head on two separate occasions.
- Magma also gets into conflict with Yo Uei about modern timers being superior to the Stone World primitives.
- Magma is the most popular hunk amongst the villagers due to his physical prowess.
- Magma is the only villager other than Kokuyo who appears to wear two layers of clothing (not counting winter outfits).
- Magma's English voice actor is the real life husband of Gen's voice actor.
- (On several occasions) "MWA HA HA!"
- (To Mantle and Carbo, regarding the Kingdom of Science) "I'll kill 'em all. Leave it to me!!"
- (To Kinro) "There's always room for a strong fighter at my side!!"
- (To Kinro) "I knew you'd do the right thing like a good boy!"
- (To Chrome) "I'm gonna work you over so good you'll never walk again."
- (To Senku) "Dammit, Senku. If only... If only you had never showed up in Ishigami Village that day! I would've ruled them all, since I'm the strongest!! I would've been top dog!!"
- (To Senku) "I don't care if you're the boss... At least until we take down that Tsukasa guy! But if the crap you're showing me ever gets boring, you're dead meat!!"
- (To Senku) "That's no way to order people around! How about a "please"?!"
- (To Mantle and Namari, regarding Senku) "The guy makes some fun stuff, I'll give him that. And that's reason enough. So no... He doesn't need to die! But that doesn't mean I've given up on the chief's throne!"
|Male||Alabaster • Argo • Carbo • Chrome • Ganen • Genbu • Ginro • Hagane • Jasper • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Mantle • Natri • Sagan • Sho • Soyuz • Tetsuken • Titan • Unmo|
|Female||Alumi • Azura • Beryl • Dia • En • Garnet • Kohaku • Kujaku • Namari • Ruby • Ruri • Sango • Sapphire • Shirogane • Shovel • Suika • Suzu • Turquoise|
|Unknown||Chalk • Sagara|
|Male||Chrome • Gen Asagiri • Ginro • Hyoga • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Matsukaze • Mozu • Ryusui Nanami • Senku Ishigami • Taiju Oki • Tsukasa Shishio • Yo Uei|
|Female||Homura Momiji • Kirisame • Kohaku • Minami Hokutozai • Nikki Hanada • Ruri • Suika • Yuzuriha Ogawa|
|Alabaster • Argo • Carbo • Chrome • Ganen • Genbu • Ginro • Hagane • Jasper • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Mantle • Natri • Sagan • Sho • Tetsuken • Titan • Unmo|
|Alumi • Azura • Beryl • Dia • En • Garnet • Kohaku • Kujaku • Namari • Ruby • Ruri • Sango • Sapphire • Shirogane • Shovel • Suika • Suzu • Turquoise|
|Soyuz's father • Ibara • Matsukaze • Mozu • Oarashi • Soyuz|
|Amaryllis • Kirisame|