"When he fell with death right before him... his resolution was unwavering. Condemning him further is pointless. He won't betray them for a carrot or a stick."
Chrome (クロム Kuromu) is the alleged sorcerer - eventually scientist of Ishigami Village and Senku's friend. Originally a rival, he grew close to Senku as the de-petrified human taught him the art of science. He is one of the protagonists of the series.
Having been fascinated with nature's resources since a young age, Chrome was always interested in experimenting with different materials despite having little to no knowledge about humanity's achievements and compounded scientific knowledge over thousands of years.
As part of the Kingdom of Science, Chrome serves as the unofficial right hand of Senku; this trust is what makes him one of the Five Wise Generals. He is also the only post-petrification human among them. Gifted in both chemical knowledge and crafting, Chrome tends to alternate between making chemicals with Senku and building with Kaseki.
Chrome is a young man of average height and build. He has round, brown eyes and matching spiky brown hair, and he keeps a rope tied around his head like a headband. He's also most often seen with a cheerful expression.
His usual outfit consists of a short-sleeved, dark blue shirt, matching pants, a rope belt, and satchels that contain materials he's collected. When he was first introduced, Chrome donned a cape that matched the color of his outfit with a rope hem as well.
Chrome is a high energetic person with a lot of passion and curiosity. He is genuinely interested in science, although at first, he only knows it as sorcery. Chrome is confident in his intellect, enough so to go toe to toe with Senku despite getting destroyed in a battle of wits.
Chrome cares little about a person's age when it comes to friendships, as he considers Kaseki as one of his greatest friends even though he's more than 50 years older than Chrome. He also has a tendency to refer to something as "bad" when he thinks it is cool or amazing.
Chrome has a deep love of science, though he admits his expertise and knowledge lies mainly in exploration, particularly pertaining to rocks and minerals and gathering them. He even becomes offended when Ryusui refers to himself as a pro adventurer while he refers to Chrome as an amateur. He was amazed by new things such as vehicles, inventions, and being petrified. He is loyal to his friends and, while lacking in physical abilities (quite similarly to Senku), he is still able to think of clever solutions out of dangerous situations.
Since he has proclaimed himself a scientist, Chrome has become very defensive of his title; he despises people getting it wrong and mocking science.
Chrome is also exceedingly brave and loyal, managing to withstand Tsukasa's torture and death threats and refusing to speak about Ishigami Village or the progress of Senku's inventions. In addition, while he is usually a loudmouth, he knows when to keep his mouth shut. He loves science and, in many ways, is an accomplished scientist in his own right, managing to create chemical reactions from the rocks he collected through frequent trial and error (reactions which were only made known in the seventeenth century), despite never knowing this knowledge beforehand and before Senku's arrival.
Chrome's naivety applies to romantic affairs as well. Kohaku explains to Senku that since his affections for Ruri are subconscious, it's cute to observe his innocent reactions whenever displaying jealousy or worry for Ruri.
In addition, he is naturally inquisitive and loves helping make inventions. When he was left out of making the automobile, he was notably disheartened. When he managed to ride a hot air balloon for the first time, he was both amazed and frustrated by the progress of the modern era prior to petrification and wanted to learn about it. Also, in spite of his naivety when it comes to the outside world, he is shown to be wary of those he distrusts, evident when he did not trust him and Senku being alone in a cave with Magma as he believed Magma would attempt to murder them.
Chrome is selfless, especially when it comes to his friends, as he entered the village tournament that would determine Ruri's husband so Magma would not win (since Magma would ensure she did not survive her illness) and knew Kinro or Ginro would have better chances of winning, but did not mind who married her so long as she would be cured. He has strong feelings for Ruri, but as stated by Kohaku, he doesn't seem to be aware of his own feelings. Even though Gen could potentially pose a threat to his friends, Chrome was devastated by seeing Gen's state by Magma, although fabricated. Before Senku revealed Gen's scheme, Chrome was vindictive because of the apparent murder, saying they will certainly find the culprit behind the attack. He refused to stay behind in the gathering of sulfuric acid for Ruri, being angered at Senku for wanting to do so. Instead, he was willing to put his life on a line looking after Senku, and expected the latter to do the same for him.
Though at first threatened by the arrival of Senku, another "sorcerer," the two quickly become close friends due to their mutual love of science and he becomes Senku's main ally and confidant in Ishigami village (aside from Gen) when it comes to their plans and inventions as the three often use their science and manipulation to find ways of creating a bloodless war against Tsukasa's Tsukasa Empire and later to go against the Whyman.
Chrome shares some of Senku's deviousness, but not to the same degree as Gen does. Regardless, thanks to his levelheaded thinking and analytical prowess, Chrome is the only member of the Five Wise Generals to not be a pre-petrification human.
Abilities and Skills
- Gifted Intelligence: Compared to the rest of Ishigami Village, Chrome is rather intelligent and curious. He and Kaseki are the only original members of Ishigami Village to possess any scientific knowledge. He was labeled as the village sorcerer due to his ability to use the materials around the village for "magic". He also has slightly-above average skill in arithmetic, only considered an expert at it due to no one knowing better. He is rather experienced when it comes to exploring caves. This allowed him to realize that Mozu had a hidden motive in trailing Amaryllis to their hideout on Treasure Island due to the effort that is needed for that. It was confirmed by Riichiro Inagaki that Chrome would have high grades and tie with Tsukasa in a school setting. Chrome's intelligence is best shown when he comprehended half of Senku's explanation about the basics of how sound travels through phones. He is also good at memorizing Senku's ridiculous "road maps" blueprints. With his quick wit, he unknowingly recreated past modern items: water wheel, metal detector, and drill. These feats garnered praise from the modern timers, who were all amazed that he created these things using only his imagination. Chrome also came up with a strategy to face Stanley and his forces by suggesting they could simply petrify everyone, and have someone really far away ready to walk back and depetrify them after the fight is over.
- Average physical prowess: In terms of physical ability, Chrome is rather average when compared to the likes of Kohaku, Magma, and Kinro, but is still skilled enough to hold his own against someone like Mantle. Despite this, Tsukasa himself noted that if he went on a voyage, he would more likely choose Chrome over Senku, despite Senku's superior intellect, because Chrome is more physically fit. In fact, Chrome ran from Ishigami Village to the Roppongi Hills Mori Tower, something that amazed his friends. He often uses pole vaults to gather his materials and used this ability to pole vault his way around Tsukasa's traps.
- Weak Spot Attack: Prior to the Grand Bout, Chrome spent some time honing his aim with a spear so that he could reliably hit Magma's "weak spot" (his crotch).
- His name, Chrome, is a reference to the chemical element Chromium, its elemental symbol Cr and atomic number 24.
- Chrome's catchphrase is "ヤベー" (Yabē), which is usually translated to "baaaad". He uses it similarly to how one would use "cool" or "awesome".
|Male||Alabaster • Argo • Carbo • Chrome • Ganen • Genbu • Ginro • Hagane • Jasper • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Mantle • Natri • Sagan • Sho • Soyuz • Tetsuken • Titan • Unmo|
|Female||Alumi • Azura • Beryl • Dia • En • Garnet • Kohaku • Kujaku • Namari • Ruby • Ruri • Sango • Sapphire • Shirogane • Shovel • Suika • Suzu • Turquoise|
|Unknown||Chalk • Sagara|
|Male||Chrome • Gen Asagiri • Ginro • Hyoga • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Matsukaze • Mozu • Ryusui Nanami • Senku Ishigami • Taiju Oki • Tsukasa Shishio • Yo Uei|
|Female||Homura Momiji • Kirisame • Kohaku • Minami Hokutozai • Nikki Hanada • Ruri • Suika • Yuzuriha Ogawa|
|Alabaster • Argo • Carbo • Chrome • Ganen • Genbu • Ginro • Hagane • Jasper • Kaseki • Kinro • Kokuyo • Magma • Mantle • Natri • Sagan • Sho • Tetsuken • Titan • Unmo|
|Alumi • Azura • Beryl • Dia • En • Garnet • Kohaku • Kujaku • Namari • Ruby • Ruri • Sango • Sapphire • Shirogane • Shovel • Suika • Suzu • Turquoise|
|Soyuz's father • Ibara • Matsukaze • Mozu • Oarashi • Soyuz|
|Amaryllis • Kirisame|