Paper Shield (
Senku wants to revamp the steam gorilla into a tank by adding armor. Iron is too heavy, so instead they decide to use paper. Gathering plant material and processing it into paper, Senku brushes some plastic between the layers creating carbon fiber reinforced polymers. He tests his new plastic shield in a fight against Kinro, who is told not to hold back. Kinro thrusts once with his spear, and his spear shatters. The villagers agree that it seems like adequate defense, and not as flimsy as they first thought.
Meanwhile, Chrome is still stuck in his jail cell. He watches as one of the Tsukasa Empire members almost falls into a pitfall trap, which worries Chrome since he believes Senku to be in danger. It seems that Tsukasa had predicted that Senku would build a vehicle next, after gunpowder. He says that Senku's sentimentality is his flaw.
The new tank is completed while the empire members continue making more traps. Chrome realizes that to help out the Kingdom of Science, he'll need to escape.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- Paper is made.
- Senku creates a paper shield.
- The steam gorilla is upgraded into a tank.
- Tsukasa predicts that Senku will create vehicles, and lays traps accordingly.
- The cover shows Senku, Kohaku and Gen with a somewhat cartoony tank, with oversized yet stubby features. This may be an homage to the art style of the Metal Slug series and the in-universe tank this series takes its name from.
- Senku’s test for the carbon shield against Kinro’s spear refers to the shield-spear paradox when “an irresistible force meets an immovable object”.