Fort Medusa (メデューサの
The chapter begins somewhere outside of Araxá, with Ryusui dramatically stating he can smell the rare rocks ahead. Chrome wonders how such a convenient place for finding minerals could be possible, so Chelsea demonstrates by using water and some dirt in a pan to separate out the various ores by their specific gravities, similar to gold panning. Senku adds that Araxá is basically that but on a global scale. Gen then says that by using the resources, humanity is like a nasty little parasite compared to the awe of how the world works, however Kohaku butts in, saying that how humanity managed to survive and accumulate knowledge is a lot more awe-inspiring, firing Taiju up.
They build a sizeable defensive fort, as Gen questions why and Senku says that they have to ready for the fight against Stanley. Senku pointed out he noticed Xeno's magnetized claw, and that he figured he must have messed with the radio signal and alerted him to their location. This forced them to speed up their plans a little, as Ryusui realizes they needed to lure Stanley regardless to retake the Perseus for future journeys.
The group then begin trying out different ways of attacking using the medusas, such as throwing them similar to how Kirisame used hers, or making tripwires that activate using pre-recorded messages, however neither were very effective due to abilities and chances of misfires. A small group then goes and mines for diamonds to make batteries with, and an underwater water wheel was constructed for use as a sneaky grinder.
As it turns out, the construction of the devices is too intricate for Kaseki, and he struggles with prying them open without damaging them. Kaseki says they'll be lucky if they manage to complete even one or two of them.
More attack trials are conducted such as activating it using Ukyo's arrow, however Ukyo's range would be similar to that of the guns'. Taiju then suggests that he simply run over to where the Americans are and activate it with a sort of suicide run since petrification would heal any injuries, but is told not to because a shot to the head would kill him instantly. Chrome, having a stroke of brilliance, says they could simply petrify everyone, and have someone really far away ready to walk back and depetrify them after the fight is over. As a failsafe, Senku sets up the device so that any member of the Kingdom of Science could activate the device from one of the many microphones set up around the fort, rather than just rely on one person to not get shot.
Characters in Order of Appearance
- The science group construct a fort.
- Senku reveals that he is aware Xeno contacted Stanley, and that Stanley will be arriving ahead of schedule.
- The goal of the battle is to beat Stanley and reclaim the Perseus.
- The next goal city will be across the Atlantic Ocean, possibly Math City.
- Hyoga and Tsukasa are revealed to still be healing from their gunshot wounds.
- The group try out several petrification-device-based traps, although none are particularly effective.
- An underwater waterwheel is constructed for polishing the diamonds.
- More diamonds are mined.
- Kaseki struggles with the delicateness of the devices, and states only one or two might be made in time.
- The battle plan for against Stanley is to set up several microphones around a single medusa, so that any member can activate the device and petrify the whole area.
- One member needs to be a safe distance away to depetrify everyone once the medusa goes off.
- The shape of the tower built to hold the medusa is similar to the first stage of the Saturn IB rocket.
- Gen's petrification mark is missing on page 2.